Sunday, July 19, 2009

Art Supplies

Sometimes I am asked about the art supplies I use in my paintings. My goal has always been to create museum quality oil paintings. With that philosophy, I look for the best quality components that will stand the test of time. I have certainly experimented with different materials over the years. Currently, here is what works for me.
  • Canvas - SourceTek linen on birch wood boards. Well worth the price. They are almost impossible to damage and the texture of the linen on the board is the perfect hard surface for painting.
  • Paints - I use Alkyds which is a Winsor and Newton product. They dry quickly which is a must for plein air painters. Plus, they travel well and have a buttery consistency that works nicely with the way I like to move paint around my canvas.
  • Brushes - Daler-Rowney flat brushes in sizes from 2 to 8 provide the quality and variety I need.
  • Pochade Box - I have three outdoor pochade boxes from Open Box M along with various sizes of carrier boxes. Depending on the box, I can paint to as large as 20 x 24 on location. They're easy to set up and take down and extremely well made.


1 comment:

  1. Brent,

    Do you still use a limited palette of red yellow and blue + white?

    Thanks,
    Carole

    ReplyDelete